Thursday, July 3, 2008

Elena Vacation Extended

Elena (our two-year-old daughter) has been up in DC at her Grandma and Grandpa's since Sunday. My mom offered to take her so that we could go out to dinner at C&O Monday evening for our anniversary.

We were initially worried about how Elena would react. We prepared her all week by talking about "Elena vacation" with Grandma and Grandpa. She seemed to be very excited seeing Grandma and Grandpa and litterally ran out the door when they arrived. When we were putting her in the carseat, she kept talking about "bye-bye with Nama Papa" and "I watch Elmo" as I was hooking up the dvd player. I kept thinking that everything was going to be fine until she realized that mommy and daddy were not going with her. But right before we closed the door, when April and I told he goodbye, she had a big smile on her face and shouted with delight, "bye Mommy, bye Daddy."

Things were going so well that we decided to have her stay with my parents until Thursday evening, and have them all come down for 4th of July weekend. Elena seemed to be loving her "Elena vacation" and all the fun she was having with her Grandma and Grandpa. Apparently, on the way to the metro the other day, she turned to my mom, cocked her head in this very cute way, and asked, "You having fun Nama?" We may be missing her more than she is missing us.

So, without a child, we drove the 30 minutes south down to Dr. Ho's Humble Pie, a small, hole-in-the-wall, hippy pizza joint in the middle of no-where Virginia. (I know it doesn't make any sense, but if you've been there you understand.) To our surprise, there was live music, with the band taking up half of the already small dining room. The singer was Greg Allen (http://www.gregallenmusic.net) a local musician in a style that I guess is called modern folk. The pizza was great and it was very fascinating to hear Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" as a folk song. And somewhere between REM's "It's the End of the World As We Know It" and "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot," I think I remembered what it was like to not have a kid.

No comments: